Thursday 29 July 2010

BREAKING NEWS: Fulham appoint Mark Hughes as manager on two-year contract

Fulham have confirmed that they have appointed Mark Hughes as their new manager.

Much has been made of who would lead the Cottagers into the new season after Ajax manager Martin Jol recently turned down the post with the likes of Dave Jones and Sven-Goran Eriksson mooted as potential candidates.

Despite being second choice to Jol, however, that didn't put off Hughes, who has signed a two-year deal with the Cottagers.

"I am happy to have joined Fulham following much speculation regarding the appointment of a new Manager. I have discussed my aspirations with both the Chairman and Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here," the Welshman told the club's official website.

"I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the Club’s history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition. I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this Club forward in the right direction.

"I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season’s campaign and we will work hard to achieve that. I’m looking forward to working with the squad as soon as possible, and in making sure the on-pitch preparations are complete before the first competitive ball is kicked in August."

Goal.com UK exclusively revealed that Hughes is targeting Manchester City's Craig Bellamy as his first signing at the club and chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is adamant that the former Manchester United striker will prove a "great guy" for the job.

"I would like to welcome Mark Hughes to Fulham. I know that he understands my vision for the Club, and believes in what we want achieve," he said.

"We have enjoyed two incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue. I am confident that with his Premier League and National Team successes, Mark will be a great guy for the job."

Hughes will be officially unveiled as Fulham's new boss at a press conference on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment